Sunday 22 January 2017

An unconventional wedding

When skimming through yesterday's challenges I was struck by the similarity of Sketch's Saturday's latest challenge to the layout of an unposted card I came across yesterday. Clearly I actually remembered to take photos of some of the cards I did manage to make last year, so now it can come out and be shared!

Whilst the sketch was the start, I think I probably gave the card a second glance because of the unicorn, and the story that went with it, which I shall briefly recount for you here.

This card was a commission from a friend, would you believe it, for a wedding card. Honestly, I jest not. As you do, I chatted to my friend to get some inspiration, and it was clear that a 'conventional wedding card' just wasn't going to hit the mark. What was I left with? Pirates (the groom was going to dress as a pirate) and unicorns (the bride was a big fan). Considerable mulling later, I remembered I had a horse head stamp that could easily be adapted into a unicorn, and a rope wreath stencil that could subtly bring off the nautical angle.

I started by figuring out the stencil and stamp placement, and then stamping the horse head into place. Then I ran it through my embossing machine with the stencil to create an embossed rope wreath, which I then coloured using dye based ink and brushes. Then I hand drew in the horn. The horse is coloured with Spectrum Noir pencils, I confess I wasn't sure whether I'd gone a bit 'My Little Pony' with the colour scheme, and gave my friend a first look before I put the card together. Reassured we went for it, even adding glitter for added bling, and I'm reliably informed that the bride and groom loved it. Makes me smile every time I see it, and I'm pleased I get a chance to share it now.


Sketch Saturday #447
Shopping our Stash #286: Fantastic Beasts
Uniko Studio #39: Anything Goes with an optional twist of Love (hopefully my bizarre wedding card counts!)



8 comments:

  1. Well, you get an A+ for creativity, that's for sure. I must confess that this card is not your conventional Wedding card but, if the Bride and Groom were happy, that is the only thing that matters.
    I love the rope stencil and the bling on the Unicorn's mane and horn, totally appropriate for this Fantastic Beast.
    Thank you for sharing your card with us at SHOPPING OUR STASH, hope to see you back in the gallery soon.
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever and fun card, requiring quite a bit of out of the box thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly awesome! Yep, I'm sure the bride and groom loved it... unconventional people love unconventional cards! Terrific job drawing that horn... looks perfect, like it was always there! Thanks for sharing it at SOS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! certainly fun and bizarre image but what a beautiful design and colour choice. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Uniko this month. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. That horse makes a perfect unicorn AND you've got the pirate angle as well - all in all a perfect card for the wedding couple!
    Thanks for joining in the fun of fantastic beasts at SHOPPPING OUR STASH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing and quite unique! I love the unicorn and tying the knot. So pretty. Thanks so much for playing along with Uniko this month! Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully colored Unicorn, never seen one like this one, thanks for joining us at Uniko.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you coloured the Unicorn and the rope around is so bold but lovely too. Thank you so much for joining in on the Uniko Challenge. Apologies for my lateness in commenting. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete